Sunday marked the return of the highly anticipated six season of Game of Thrones. If you have watched an episode of GOT you will be familiar with the dramatic and fantasy-like landscapes they use. Therefore it comes as no surprise that more and more tourists are flocking to these destinations to get a peak of the action.
Game of Thrones Destinations
The novels, written by George RR Martin, are the basis of the HBO hit series. With every passing season the show picks up more fans and even better reviews. Fans and tourists are venturing on film travel to see the natural spectacles with their own eyes.
This kind of film travel has become increasing popular over the last few years, countries such as Iceland, Croatia and Morocco have benefited hugely from this increase in film travel. Here we share some of our favorite real life locations that star in Game of Thrones.
Game of Thrones locations in Croatia
- Dubrovnik – King’s landing, Red Keep
- The island Lokrum and the quarry of Dubac – Qarth
- The Diocletian’s Palace and the streets of Split – Meereen
- The fortress of Klis in Split – Meereen
- Šibenik – Braavos (neu in der fünften Staffel)
Game of Thrones locations in Northern Ireland
- Downhill Beach – Dragonstone
- Larrybane Quarry – Stormlands
- Ballintoy Harbour – Pyke
- Murlough Bay – Storm’s End
- Cushendun – Stormlands
- Dark Hedges – King’s Road
Game of Thrones locations in Malta
- Mdina,Valletta, Birgu – King’s landing and Red Keep
- Azure Window auf Gozo – location of Daenerys Targaryen and Khal Drogo’s wedding
- Fort Ricasoli in Kalkara – Red Keep
Game of Thrones locations in Iceland
- Myvatn –landscape of North of the wall
- Grjótagjá -Jon and Ygritte’s love nest
- Dimmuborgir – Camp of wildlings
Game of Thrones locations in Morocco
- Essaouira – Astapor
- Desert landscape in Ouarzazate – Pentos
- Aït Benhaddou in Ouarzazate – Yunkai
Game of Thrones locations in Spain
- Osuna – Dorne
- Alcázár of Sevilla – Water gardens of Dorne
Game of Thrones locations in Scotland
- Doune Castle – Winterfell
Tourism authorities recognize the huge potential and appeal these locations offer Game of Thrones fans. All of the locations offer some sort of Game of Thrones tour.
2 responses to “Travel to the locations of Game of Thrones”
What about the living in Iceland : cost and safety and weather ?
Only this year, Iceland was rated the world’s safest country (you can find more here: http://bit.ly/2fkaNSK). It’s generally pretty cold in Iceland, although summers are milder, and can be a little more expensive to live in. Its stunning natural scenery, thermal spas and lively capital city of Reykjavik are all great reasons to visit! As we focus on travel here at liligo.com we would recommend consulting another source for more detailed information, just to be sure.
We hope we were able to help 🙂